A WALK ON THE WILDSIDE---PAUL FOSTER

hit counter

Tuesday 14 September 2010

Flamingoes at Salgados Lagoon

Spoonbill feeding with Flamingo early morn.....
Stalking the shallows.....
Ready for take off..... Good flocks were encountered....
Coming in to land lower down the lake!
The flamingoes on the lagoon totalled more than 200 and they proved quite an attraction for numerous people to come and view.The lagoon was ideally suited for them to feed in, being only a few feet deep throughout! They seemed to favour the top end of the lagoon to roost but as the sun got up they headed further down towards the carpark,giving good close views!Usually as more cars came they would push further out towards the far side of the lake.

There seemed to be a lot of juveniles within the flock, with many of these carrying colour coded rings for identification purposes.I don`t know if they actually breed here or come in from the Camargue in France,a known breeding place.I`d spend a good hour enjoying the company of the Flamingoes in the first hour of daylight with one or two other birders before I`d make my way back to the apartment.By then Lisa and Harriet would be stirring ready for a day on the beach or by the pool.It was hard work getting up every morning at 6.00am but always worth the effort and I really enjoyed my early starts with the camera.

There were different waders to be seen and enjoyed at Salgados of which I`ll come onto in my next blog,so I`ll see you for now then.......

No comments:

Post a Comment