A WALK ON THE WILDSIDE---PAUL FOSTER

hit counter

Saturday 28 October 2017

Marshside Merlin


 The juv long billed dowitchers have been the star attraction at Marshside recently, tucked in with the many other waders that overwinter there,however this in turn attracts predators, keen to capitalise on the abundance of prey at their disposal.One such raptor is the Merlin,it maybe only small, but that doesn't, stop it taking lapwing, golden plover, teal etc.
Whilst I was walking along the road to Nells hide, the waders took flight in their hundreds, no doubt being spooked by a raptor,a quick scan and I picked out a merlin carrying prey.Luckily for me it dropped down into the short grass about 50 metres from my position.It tried to take off a few times, but it was weighed down by what it had caught!
It decided to stay put and began plucking its kill, giving me the chance of a few shots with the camera.I don't know if it was a juv or female bird, but I wasn't complaining at all watching the spectacle unfold.Thanks for looking in on my blog and apologies to all for lack of recent posts lately!


                          One of the Dowitchers feeding with two Godwits!

                                                    weighed down by its prey.


No comments:

Post a Comment