A WALK ON THE WILDSIDE---PAUL FOSTER

hit counter

Tuesday 7 November 2017

Hawfinch,The cherry stone cracker!

At the moment, we are experiencing a large influx of Hawfinch to the UK, no doubt filtering over from  europe ,due to bad weather or a shortage of food!There are good numbers in eastern europe into Russia,so there could still be more birds to follow.I think the last documented invasion was back in 2005. These birds are, I believe ,heading to southern france and onto spain.Its not often you get the chance to see these birds in any numbers, so on hearing of a few  not too far away in the south of the lake district,I ventured out in the hope of gaining a few images.Most of the sightings reported around the country, were of fly-over birds, with not many actually resting up.

I was fortunate when I arrived on site, to find 4 birds evident in the tall trees, but the light was against me, so I only managed a few record shots.I knew that it would be a challenge, but I was going to give it my best shot!
                 Very very distant and against the light, but at least birds were present!


                     An odd bird did perch up in view, but again distance was an issue!
             This Nuthatch showed reasonably well, and I made the most of it, in some nice light!
          Another distance shot, but I wasn't really complaining, as it was a treat to see them here!


    I watched this male Hawfinch feeding on Sycamore seeds, for at least 15 mins. After feeding up,     he would fly across to a yew tree and rest up within the foliage for a while to digest his meal!I am going to return to the site next week, to see if the birds are still about, if so,I'll post another account for you.Again thanks for dropping by and keep well!

No comments:

Post a Comment